Wednesday, October 15, 2014

About a video

This video is about a woman arguing that social media applications are going to help to eliminate some stereotypes that we have as a society about gender.
The woman says that the most of media companies like the TV, the radio and others, use demography as a method to understand their audiences. They categorize us with restrictive labels to define us. So, they think that we become in something predictable.
All the people that participate in social media companies belong to these demography categories. But today these categories are not so useful than before for the companies, because now is easier to escape of that restrictions. We can connect with people with more freely than before, and we don`t need the company to do it.
Women use the social networking technologies more than men, so they become very important to these companies. Finally, the woman of the video says that women are going to be the responsible of finish with these categories of gender.
Actually, I thing that the technology is not the only factor in the categorization of gender. These categories have always existed in our culture, they have been constructed by different factors of our culture. Movies or publicity are some examples that influence in the way that we understand the gender.

I don’t think that the finish of these stereotypes will come for the decisions of technology companies. Actually, I think that even if the social media changes, these categorize will keep appearing in other aspects of our occidental culture. The change of this mentality has to come from the forms of education.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment... the publicity are onlu examples that a cultural problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I agree with you, in my opinion the social media companies use very simplistic categories :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides, I think that all it is based in a market logic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your post... the categories have always existed in our culture, but I think it can be eliminated in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! I think the gender divisions are cultural problem, but I hope that can be eliminated soon!

    ReplyDelete